Tuesday, June 19, 2012

National Cartoonist Society Profile: Dan DeCarlo

Born December 12, 1919. Graduated New Rochelle High School in 1938. Then to the Art Students League for three years. Uncle Sam called in 1941, so I served four and a half years in the Army, four of them in Europe...England, France, Belgium, and Germany as a draftsman/artist with the 8th Airforce. Did cartoonist mascots for the fighter planes, murals, company comic strip and a little drafting. Married my wife, Josie, in Belgium in 1945. Discharged in 1946. Did some gag cartooning, but not to successfully...finally landed a job at Timely Comics (Marvel). Drew Millie the Model, My Friend Irma, Sherry the Showgirl and lots of covers. Timely let go the staff...went freelancing with D.C., Timely, Ziff-Davi,s and Archie. When full time with Archie in 1957. Created Josie and the Pussycats (named after my wife). Drew all of the Archie characters...my favorites then and now is Betty and Veronica...been at it for over thirty five  years...best humor penciler in 1971(ABCA) San Diego Ink Pot Award in 1991. My hobby is painting, that's about it...now back to the drawing board.

 

No comments: