Thursday, January 1, 2009

National Cartoonist Society Profile: Jerry Ordway


Lets start off the new year with one of my favorite comic book artists of all time, the multi-talented Jerry Ordway. Though I believe he has unfortunately done more work as an inker than penciler in recent years, his solid storytelling has a strong nostalgic feel with its stylized majestic poses of mighty heroes and evil villains. I wish more of his art was on the market, but the creator prefers to hold on to a large part of his work, here is his short bio for the NCS from a few years ago. --- Born in Milwaukee Wisconsin on November 28, 1957 (Thanksgiving Day). Graduated from Milwaukee Technical High School with a commercial art degree. Worked as a typographer from 1976 - '78, worked at a commercial art studio from 1978 - '81, doing layout, storyboards and some illustration. A lifelong love of comic books led me to take the plunge as a full-time freelancer for DC Comics in February of 1981. I have since drawn every superhero from Superman to Captain Marvel! Since 1987, I have been writing comics as well, notably Superman and "The Power of Shazam." In 1993 I co-created and illustrated "Wildstar", a four issue comic series published by Image Comics. While proud of my many comic awards, I am most proud of my two toddlers: Rachel, born in '92, and Thomas, born in '95. I live in Fairfield, Connecticut, with my wife Peggy and the kids, in a house that's paid for!

No comments: